Stuff Happiness Is Made Of

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Onde Onde From Scratch



When I was young there used to be a roadside stall that used to sell various Malay sweeties on the way to school and my mom would bring me there to buy a couple of things. One of my favourites was onde-onde.

Onde-onde is a ball filled with palm sugar and made out of glutinous rice flour, flavoured with pandan (screwpine) juice. It is then dropped into boiling water to be cooked and then rolled in dessicated coconut. Traditionally, it is wrapped in banana leaves but I just left it unwrapped. It is supposed to be green in color, which didn't really show in this picture.

Never reheat onde-onde using the microwave. I learnt this the hard way - it produced rock hard onde-onde due to the lost of moisture. Instead, steam them.

Note: This was made a couple of months ago. I woke up today with a really bad headache and fever. Me getting sick seems to be a monthly affair now. I think it's the feng shui of this apartment. :(

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

Web Page Counters
Yahoo Personal Dating
free stats